Fasting time goes beyond just ordinary prayer. Every time a fast is declared either in the church or by you, you should know that the kind of prayer you should pray is not the normal prayer. When you fast the kind of fast God has chosen, “Then shall thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shall cry, and he shall say, here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger and speaking vanity” Isaiah 58:9.
The time of fasting is a time of crying. That gives us understanding that when you pray God answers; but when you cry God comes down to intervene. So fasting is a time of divine intervention on issues of our life that we have prayed and prayed without answers. It is a time of addressing stubborn issues of our lives, issues that have resisted our prayers.
There are opposition that will continue to oppose your destiny if you don’t fast. Take time out to cry to God, not just to pray ordinary prayer. God has ordained fasting time to handle opposition that refuse to go all these years you have been praying, so don’t sell your birth right!
By maximising the blessedness of prayer and fasting, we mean making the most of our prayer and fasting. It means giving prayer and fasting all it takes in order to enjoy the blessing. God’s commandments are ordained for our profiting. 2 Timothy 3: 16 says: “All scriptures are given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, and for reproof, for correction, for instruction in rightlessness”. Fasting is a commandment ordained for your profiting. Mathew 6:6-7; 6:16.
Fasting is not optional. As a matter of fact, fasting is one of the pillars of Christianity. You cannot stand strong in the faith without given to fasting. Since the ascension of Jesus into heaven, our prayer and fasting lives began. Mathew 9:14-16. As a believer, you are limited in what you can do in the kingdom without fasting because we are in the days of prayer and fasting. Mathew 17:16-21. In other words, when you combined prayer, faith and fasting, there is no opposition to your glorious destiny that cannot be removed. Mathew 17:20-21. Therefore beware of selling your birth right to your belly.
Profitable Approach to Prayer and Fasting.
- We must come to the altar of prayer, thanking, praising and worshipping God.
Don’t come to the prayer altar murmuring and complaining because it will complicate your challenge. Psalm 100:4 says: “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name”. 1 Thessalonian 5:14; John 5:14.
God hears us when we pray according to his will. Thanking, praise and worship is our covenant access to the throne of God for help.
Philippians 4:6 says: “Be careful for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God”. There is always a point of thanksgiving in all your challenges.
- We must make kingdom advancement prayer our priority
Don’t start prayer with your personal request. Mathew 6:10. Selfishness in prayer is one of the reasons many have not received answers to their prayer. Don’t start by praying for your need because God knows all your needs. Every time you pray kingdom advancement prayer, it gives you special attention with God because what you are making is spiritual investment (all investments have profit more so when it is coming from God). Every time we engaged in kingdom advancement prayer, it gives us access to God’s hotline.
- We must come boldly (confidently) to God, and not beggarly. Hebrew 4:16 says: “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy , and find grace to help in time of need”
Come with inner strength, come steadfastly, with an assurance that God is going to help you. God is always ready to help you. He does not expect us to come to him miserable and battered, beggarly. God is not a wicked father, so you need not fear when approaching him. Every time we approach him confidently, we enjoy the rewards that we expect. Hebrew 10:35 says: “Cast not away therefore your confidence, which has great recompense of reward”
HOW TO BUILD CONFIDENCE AS A BELIEVER
- Build up your righteousness consciousness as opposed to sin consciousness. The blood of Jesus confers on you liberty and gives you unlimited access to the help of God if you confess and forsake your sins. I John 1:8-10; 2 Corinthian 5:21.
- You need to cultivate boldness through knowledge. Proverbs 24:5b says… “a man of knowledge increaseth in strength” Daniel 11:32b says—–“but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits”
- Know that the Holy Spirit helps to build boldness in us. g Peter, who turned from a weakling (reed) to the rock on which the church was built via the Holy Spirit.
- We must engage the force of faith. Faith is a must in order to get results in God’s kingdom. If you don’t have faith in your fasting, don’t even bother to fast. Prayer that is not backed up with faith is fake prayer. Hebrew 11:6 says without faith it is impossible to please God, but he that comes to God on the altar of fasting and prayer must believe the he rewards those who diligently seek him. It is unwise to expect to receive anything from God without faith. According to Mark 11: 24 “Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye have receive them, ye shall have them…”.
It is not your much speaking or tempo but your meaningful speaking that gives answer to your prayer. The two blind men came to Jesus with faith-assumed prayer and Jesus had to ask them if they believe. Don’t pray and fast on assumption whether God will do it or not. We need to come to God with faith-deliberate prayer like Blind Bartimaeus who regained his sight as a result. He was specific on what he wanted Jesus to do for him. Your prayer must therefore be a cry of faith if you must receive anything from God. James 1:5-7
Blessedness of prayer and fasting.
- It provokes outbreak of revelation Isaiah 58:8-10. Fasting time is a time to handle the walls of darkness. Jeremaiah3: 33 “Call on me and I will show you great and mighty things thou knoweth not”. You need to read books to encounter revelation (light). One major ministry of the devil is to blind your eyes not to see solutions to your problems 2 Corinthian 4:4.
- It engenders access to high places on earth. Luke 4:14. Jesus, for 30 years was not known, but after he prayed and fasted, his status changed Luke 4:36-37. He rode on His high places. Isaiah 58:14
- Enhances our level of spiritual authority. Isaiah 58:6, 10:47. The moment you pray and fast, your spiritual authority increases. Luke 37.
- Facilitates fulfilment of prophecy. It was after Jesus prayed and fasted, that that which was spoken concerning him in the book of Isaiah 61:1, was fulfilled in his life.